I can’t believe it. One semester over already. Seven to go.
Holy crap. For all of the agonizing I did before arriving here, I seem to be fine.
Understatement there. Life is amazing.
Let’s analyze because I’m too excited that I’m GOING HOME in less than an hour to write something super-coherent right now.
SIMILARITIES – THOUGHTS THAT HAVE REMAINED THE SAME SINCE ARRIVAL AT EASTMAN IN AUGUST 2010
– I still have trouble believing that this school accepted me.
– I still believe everyone dresses up here on a daily basis way more than everyone else in Rochester.
– I still adore my roommate.
– I still always want to be back at home. But I mean, it’s great here anyway.
– I still live off of caffeine most days.
– I still don’t know what I want to do with my life. But I figure I’ll just let it happen for now.
DIFFERENCES – THINGS THAT HAVE CHANGED OR THAT I DID NOT EXPECT
– I have made some of the best friends I think I’ve ever had in my life.
– I didn’t think that such supremely talented individuals could also be incredibly kind, hilarious, unique and wonderful all at once. But most really are.
– I never expected to thoroughly enjoy organ or chamber music. But here we are.
– My adoration for trombone music has quadrupled… and I liked it a lot before.
– I didn’t think I could improvise well, or arrange a song, or part-write.
– In fact, I thought my writing skills were completely limited to words.
– I am doing well in theory. That alone is insane.
– I’ve conquered serious, debilitating nerves. For now at least.
And, to me, this is most important:
I really feel as though I can call myself a musician now. Not a particularly splendid or learned one, but I’ve reached a point where I know what’s going on and can form actual opinions about things. It’s very different from where I was not even four months ago.
Anyway. I have some last minute packing to do, and under an hour to accomplish it. One semester down…